Many believe music is important to one’s identity. In other words, we are what we listen to. However, the relation between one’s personality and music preference is so deep that we can find out what type of a person is just by looking at their playlist.
Metal and rock are two of the oldest genres of music. Some might argue they are the same, but there is a fine line between them. So let’s find out how.
Comparison Between Metal And Rock
|It originated in the 1950s.
|It originated in the late 1960s.
|Rock music has higher distortion.
|Metal music has lower distortion.
|Rock music has a lighter sound.
|Metal music has a deeper sound.
|Rock music has a faster musical tempo.
|Metal music has a slower musical tempo.
|It is based on rhythm, blues, gospel music, country, and western.
|It is based on classical music.
|Its main components include virtuosic guitar riffs with loose drum lines and bass.
|Its main components include forceful or throaty voices, strong drumming, extra-low bass notes, and distorted guitar riffs and chords.
|Rock music exerts non-syncopated stress with a 4/4 signature.
|Metal music exerts deliberate emphatic stress.
|Rock uses major scales more often.
|Rock uses minor scales more often.
|Rock music discusses love, sex, passion, social concerns, and lifestyles.
|Metal music talks about death, blood, and even the devil. However, it has more of a muscular, violent, and vulgar vibe.
|Rock has slow strumming.
|Metal has fast and powerful strumming.
|Rock songs are short.
|Metal songs are longer.
What Is Metal?
Rock music has a metal subgenre characterized by heavy drumming, violent vocals, distorted guitar chords, and low-frequency bass notes.
It’s a fairly simple genre to research and understands because it seldom deviates from a few essential elements. Metal emerged in the late half of the 1960s and the beginning of the 1970s.
The United Kingdom and the United States of America are mostly where they originated. Rock music’s heavy metal subgenre emphasizes volume, power, and speed.
Key difference: Metal
- It originated in the late 1960s.
- It is a subgenre of rock.
- It uses the keyboard occasionally.
- Its sound is on the deeper and higher side.
- It has a higher distortion.
What Is Rock?
Rock music, commonly called “rock and roll,” gained popularity in America and Europe in the 1950s.
Rock ‘n’ roll is a uniquely American genre with a rich and complex history, marked by musical experimentation and an anti-establishment attitude.
It is a fusion of genres like rhythm and blues, jazz, boogie-woogie, blues, gospel, and rockabilly, along with raunchy lyrics and punchy performance styles.
Key difference: Rock
- It originated in the 1950s.
- It is the main genre of music.
- The keyboard is its key instrument.
- Its sound is less serious.
- It has a lighter distortion.
What Is The Difference Between Rock And Metal?
- Rock– The 1940s and 1950s rock’n’roll movement, inspired by the country and African-American rhythm and blues of the 1920s and 1930s, gave birth to rock music.
However, rock music has been developing and spawning subgenres worldwide since it first appeared.
- Metal-When Steppenwolf alluded to “heavy metal thunder” in their 1960 song “Born To Be Wild,” the phrase “heavy metal” was first used in a musical context.
Despite academic disagreements, most people agree that bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple were among the earliest heavy metal acts.
From there, the genre and subgenres of the style changed and multiplied. However, today’s music is still heavily influenced by heavy metal.
- Rock- Rock music has a lighter distortion.
- Metal- Metal music has strong distortion.
- Rock- Rock music has a lighter sound.
- Metal- Metal music has a deeper and higher sound.
- Rock- Rock music has a faster musical tempo.
- Metal- Metal music has a slower musical tempo.
- Rock- Hard rock is based on rhythm and blues, gospel music, country, and western.
- Metal- It is based on classical music. It typically uses scales that are found in classical music. It forms the structure of metal music.
- Rock- Its main components include virtuosic guitar riffs with loose drum lines and bass.
- Metal- Its main components include forceful or throaty voices, strong drumming, extra-low bass notes, and distorted guitar riffs and chords.
- Rock- Rock music exerts non-syncopated stress with a 4/4 signature.
- Metal- Metal music exerts deliberate emphatic stress.
- Rock- Rock uses major scales more often.
- Metal- Metal uses minor scales more often. E minor is very commonly used in metal.
- Rock- Rock music discusses love, sex, passion, social concerns, and lifestyles.
- Metal– Metal music talks about death, blood, and even the devil. However, it has more of a muscular, violent, and vulgar vibe.
- Rock- Rock music has slow strumming.
- Metal- Metal has fast and powerful strumming.
- Rock- Rock songs are short.
- Metal- Metal songs are longer than rock songs.
Acceptance and success:
- Rock- Rock bands in the past decades have seen some successful times. It is because the songs have good musical attributes.
- Metal- Metal music rarely becomes commercially successful as it has controversial lyrics about death, blood, and even the devil.
🎤 Famous artists:
- Rock- Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Nirvana, etc.
- Metal- Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc.
More to Read, Explore 👇 This Article..
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do you have any suggestions for novice rock or metal bands?
Certainly! You can think about starting with well-known rock acts like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Queen. These bands offer a fantastic introduction to the genre and have various successes.
If you’re into metal, bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath are good for beginners. These bands have significantly influenced metal music and are a fantastic place to start if you want to learn more about it.
You can find bands that suit your musical preferences when digging deeper into the rock and metal genres.
Which musical instruments are most frequently utilized in rock and metal?
Both rock and metal music frequently feature the guitar as a critical instrument. Both genres’ distinctive sounds are produced by electric guitars, often with much distortion.
The rhythm section also includes bass guitars and drums, which serve as a strong foundation and propel the music forward. In some rock and metal subgenres, keyboards or synthesizers can add atmospheric aspects or improve the sound. Furthermore, vocals are pretty important.
Rock music uses a variety of singing styles, from clean to raspy or gritty, while metal frequently uses violent vocal methods like growling or screaming.
Can metal and rock coexist or be combined?
Rock and metal may coexist and even be combined in different ways. Rock and metal influences can be found in many subgenres and bands that combine aspects of the two genres.
This can include bands that mix aggressive vocals and strong guitar riffs with melodic and catchy hooks and those that explore many musical genres while retaining rock and metal components.
These hybrid styles show the adaptability and artistic potential of combining rock and metal elements.
- 21+ Differences Between House Music And Techno Music (Explained)
- 20+ Differences between Hip Hop And Pop (Explained)
- 20+ Difference between Classical and Acoustic Guitar (Explained)
- 20+ Differences between MC and A Rapper (Explained)
- 20+ Differences between Rock Salt and Sea Salt (Explained)
“Business, marketing, and blogging – these three words describe me the best. I am the founder of Burban Branding and Media, and a self-taught marketer with 10 years of experience. My passion lies in helping startups enhance their business through marketing, HR, leadership, and finance. I am on a mission to assist businesses in achieving their goals.”