Whenever we think of the devil, only two names come to our minds, i.e., Lucifer and Satan. Both the terms are used to depict evilness and may sound like synonyms that are often confused with one another.
Lucifer and Satan are two forms of one being. Lucifer was the most beautiful angel created by God, but once he rebelled against him and was thrown out of heaven and took the form of Satan. Lucifer and Satan are so similar yet so different.
Key Differences –
- Lucifer was the most beautiful angel created by God.
- He was dropped from heaven to earth after he got against God.
- On descending from heaven, he took the form of Satan.
- Lucifer lives in heaven and generally has wings.
- Lucifer denotes goodness, brightness, hope, divinity, etc.
- Satan is a devil who manipulates people into committing sins.
- Satan was once Lucifer who lived in heaven but fell from heaven on rebelling against God.
- He went from being an angel to become a devil after being expelled from paradise.
- Satan lives in hell and generally has horns and red skin.
- Satan denotes evilness and adversary.
Comparison Between Lucifer And Satan
|Meaning||An angel created by God who serves and obey him. Known for spreading positivity.||A devil who is against God and known for manipulating people into committing sins.|
|Living place||He is believed to be a member of heaven.||He is believed to be a member of hell.|
|Against God||He is not against God.||He is against God.|
|Denotes||He denotes light, brightness, hope, divinity, etc.||He denotes evilness, darkness, adversary, etc.|
|Appearance||He has a fairy appearance with wings.||He has red skin with horns.|
|Spreads||He is seen as a symbol of positivity.||He is seen as a symbol of negativity.|
Major Differences Between Lucifer And Satan
Who exactly is Lucifer?
Lucifer is known to be the most beautiful angel created by God. He lived in heaven and Obeyed God. By its literal meaning, Lucifer means Light Bearer and a Morning Star.
It is also related to Planet Venus. As it implies a Morning Star, it has also been saying, and it means a morning star that fell from heaven.
Therefore, Lucifer is seen as a symbol of positivity and hope. But things escalated quickly when he decided to go against God and was kicked out of heaven.
Features of Lucifer –
- The most beautiful angel ever created by God.
- Lucifer belongs to heaven.
- He is beautiful and has fairy wings.
- Lucifer literally means “light bearer” and “morning star.”
- After rebelling against God, he was expelled from heaven and dropped off from heaven towards the earth. That was the moment when Lucifer decided to be Satan.
- Lucifer denotes positivity, light, brightness, hope, etc.
- Lucifer can not be considered against God as he was made from God and is known for positivity.
Who exactly is Satan?
Satan is known as the devil who manipulates people into wrongdoings. He is against God and does the exact opposite of what God does. Christianity and Islam represent Satan as someone who fell from heaven after being expelled from it.
It is believed after Lucifer decided to go against God and fell from heaven, he took the form of Satan and made it his identity. The literal meaning of Satan is Adversary. He usually has red skin and horns on his head.
Features of Satan –
- A devil who manipulates people into committing sins.
- Satan belongs to hell.
- He has horns on his head and red skin.
- Satan’s literal meaning means “evil spirit.”
- After Lucifer was dropped off from heaven, he decided to let that personality go and chose to be identified as Satan.
- Satan denotes adversary and evilness.
- Satan is considered against God because it was officially after Lucifer fell from heaven when he decided to change his identity to Satan and became a devil and symbol of evilness.
Contrast Between Lucifer And Satan
Origin of The Word
- Lucifer – The word Lucifer originated from the Latin “Lucifer,” meaning “light-bearing, morning star,” which originated from two Latin words, “lux, luc-” and “-fer,” which means “light” and “bearing.”
- Satan – The word Satan originated from the Hebrew word “śāṭān,” which means “accuser” and “adversary.”
- Lucifer – Lucifer is a beautiful angel created by God.
- Satan – Satan is a devil who manipulates people into committing sins.
- Lucifer – Lucifer lives in heaven.
- Satan – Satan lives in hell.
- Lucifer – Lucifer has a fairy appearance with wings.
- Satan – Satan has a scary appearance with honks and red skin.
- Lucifer – Lucifer denotes happiness, brightness, light, hope, etc.
- Satan – Satan denotes sadness, darkness, evilness, adversary, etc.
- Lucifer – Lucifer can not be considered against God as he was once a very loyal and faithful servant. It was after he became Satan and committed evil sins. Thus, until he was Lucifer, he was not against God.
- Satan – Satan is a symbol of evilness that makes people sinners. He does exactly the opposite of what God does. Thus, he is against God.
- Lucifer – Lucifer is known for spreading positivity.
- Satan – Satan is known for spreading negativity.
Satan and Lucifer are often confused with one another and seen as the only devil. Satan and Lucifer are similar yet different. Lucifer was a beautiful angel created by God who lived in heaven. He served and obeyed God.
He was a symbol of bright light and positivity. But later, he decided to go against him and was thrown out of heaven. After being thrown down to earth, he ultimately chose to become the devil and say goodbye to his proper form.
He decided to identify himself as Satan. Satan lives in hell and gaslights people into committing wrongdoings. He is a symbol of evilness, darkness, and adversary.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Are Lucifer and Satan the same?
Lucifer and Satan are the same forms of one person, but it is wrong to think both are the same. They share one soul, but they both are opposite. Lucifer is an angel created by God who used to serve and obey him.
But unfortunately, Lucifer rebelled against God and was expelled from heaven. On being thrown out of heaven, he decided to change his identity & nature and take the form of Satan. Therefore, Satan lives in hell and is completely the opposite of Lucifer.
Q2. How is Lucifer not against God?
Lucifer can not be considered against God because until he was Lucifer, he served and obeyed God.
Then, he rebelled against and became Satan. Satan is known for his evil nature and for spreading negativity.
Q3. What are the major differences between Lucifer and Satan?
The major differences between Lucifer and Satan are –
1. God created the most beautiful angel known as Lucifer, while Satan is a form of evilness that is known for his ability to manipulate people into committing sins.
2. Heaven is the place of living of Lucifer, whereas Hell is the place of residence of Satan.
3. Lucifer has a fairy appearance with wings, while Satan has red skin with horns.
4. Lucifer works for God, while Satan works against God.
5. Lucifer is seen as a symbol of divinity and positivity, whereas Satan is seen as a symbol of adversary and negativity.
- 20+ Differences Between CeraVe And Cetaphil (Explained)
- 15+ Pros And Cons of Blue Light Therapy
- 20+ Differences Between Face Oil And Face Serum (Explained)
- 15+ Pros And Cons Of Red Light Therapy
- 20+ Differences between Lotion And Moisturizer (Explained)
“Business, marketing, and blogging – these three words describe me the best. I am the founder of Burban Branding and Media, and a self-taught marketer with 10 years of experience. My passion lies in helping startups enhance their business through marketing, HR, leadership, and finance. I am on a mission to assist businesses in achieving their goals.”