There are plenty of water bodies present on the Earth. Knowing the differences between different kinds of waterbodies can be pretty confusing. Two such waterbodies are Rivers and Seas, which can seem pretty confusing.
A Sea is a large hollow body of water, whereas a River is a long tall body of flowing water covering a long distance. Another major difference between a River and a Sea is that the former has fresh water while the latter has salty water.
Key Differences –
- A sea is a large hollow body of water.
- A sea is linked to Rivers, Oceans, and Gulfs.
- Sea Water is very salty in nature.
- Seas have huge flora and fauna as compared to Rivers.
- Seas are estimated to be 7 in number.
- A River is a long tall body of water.
- A River is linked to other Rivers, Seas, Oceans, and Lakes.
- River Water is fresh and not at all salty.
- Rivers have lesser flora and fauna as compared to Seas.
- Rivers are estimated to be 165 in number.
Comparison Between Sea And River
|Size||Seas are bigger in size than Rivers.||Rivers are smaller in size than Seas.|
|Saltiness and Minerals||Sea water is rich in salt and minerals.||River water lacks salt and minerals.|
|Rate of Evaporation||The rate of evaporation is higher in Seas.||The rate of evaporation is lower in rivers.|
|Ability to cause floods||Seas do not cause floods.||Rivers can cause floods.|
|Flora and Fauna||Seas have more flora and fauna compared to Rivers.||Rivers have lesser flora and fauna as compared to Seas.|
|Number||Seas are estimated to be 7 in number.||Rivers are estimated to be 165 in number.|
|Major names||Indian Ocean, Black Sea, Red Sea, Mediterranean Sea, Adriatic Sea, Persian Gulf, and the Caspian Sea||River Nile, River Amazon, River Mississippi-Missouri-Red Rock, River Chang Jiang, River ob, River Huang He, River Yenisei, River Parana, River Irtish, and River Zaire|
Major Differences Between Sea And River
What exactly is a Sea?
A sea is a large hollow body of water covering a lot of areas. Seas are connected to different rivers, gulfs, other seas, and oceans. Seas and Oceans cover most of the part of water present on Earth.
Sea Water is known for its saltiness. Seas are home to a huge part of flora and Fauna. It takes millions of years for the formation of Seas.
Main Seas of the world –
- Indian Ocean
- Black Sea
- Red Sea
- Mediterranean Sea
- Adriatic Sea
- Persian Gulf
- Caspian Sea
What exactly is a River?
A River is a long tall body of flowing water covering a long distance. Rivers are connected to different rivers, lakes, seas, and oceans.
A River’s water is freshwater and does not have any saltiness. Rivers have flora and Fauna in a lesser amount than Seas. It takes only a few years for the formation of Rivers.
Main Rivers of the world –
- River Nile
- River Amazon
- River Mississippi-Missouri-Red Rock
- River Chang Jiang
- River ob
- River Huang He
- River Yenisei
- River Parana
- River Irtish
- River Zaire
The Contrast Between River And Sea
Origin Of The Word
Sea and River are two waterbodies majorly contributing to the water present on Earth’s surface. A Sea is a bigger hollow body of water, whereas a River is comparatively smaller but a longer body of water.
It takes millions of years for the formation of Seas, while it takes only a few years for the formation of Rivers.
Sea water is very salty whereas River Water is fresh. There are estimated to be seven seas in the world, whereas there are estimated to be 165 major rivers in the world.
(FAQs) Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are the major seas of the world?
The major seven seas of the world include the Indian Ocean, Black Sea, Red Sea, Mediterranean Sea, Adriatic Sea, Persian Gulf, and the Caspian Sea.
Q2. What are some of the major rivers of the world?
Some of the world’s major rivers include River Nile, River Amazon, River Mississippi-Missouri-Red Rock, River Chang Jiang, River ob, River Huang He, River Yenisei, River Parana, River Irtish, and River Zaire.
Q3. What are the major differences between Sea and River?
The major differences between a Sea and a River are –
1. A sea is a big hollow body of water whereas a River is a long flowing body of water.
2. Seas have salty water, while rivers have freshwater water.
3. Sea water is full of minerals, but river water does not have many minerals.
4. Flora and Fauna present in a Sea are more than the flora and Fauna present in a River.
5. The rate of evaporation is more in a sea than in a river.
- 22+ Differences Between Gulf And Sea
- 20+ Differences between Rock Salt and Sea Salt
- 20+ Differences Between Forest And Jungle
- 20+ Differences Between Rocks And Minerals
- 20+ Bottled Water Pros And Cons
Marketing | Branding | Blogging. These Three Words Describe Me in The Best Way. I Am a Self-Taught Marketer with 10 Years of Experience. Helping Startups/ It Companies/ and Small Businesses to Enhance Their Business Through Branding and Marketing Ideas. On A Mission to Help Small Businesses to Be a Brand.