Tornados and Typhoons are two forms of natural phenomenon. These two terms sound synonyms and, undoubtedly, have lots of similarities between them. To no surprise, these terms are used interchangeably many times.
A tornado is air revolving in a circular motion that goes from the ground to the sky. Typhoon, on the other hand, is water and air revolving in a circular motion that goes from oceans to the sky.
Typhoons are called tropical cyclones as well. The major difference between Tornado and Typhoon is that, while the former starts from the land, the latter starts from a sea or an ocean.
Key Differences –
- A tornado is a powerful vortex having air revolving in a circular motion at a very high speed.
- A tornado generally starts from the land and goes up to the sky.
- Tornados are more destructive than Typhoons.
- Tornados are generally 50 -100 feet long.
- Tornadoes generally last from a few minutes to half an hour.
- A typhoon is a cyclone that has air and water revolving in a circular motion at a higher speed than a tornado.
- A typhoon starts in oceans & seas and goes up to the sky.
- Typhoons are less destructive than tornados.
- Typhoons are usually 100 – 150 feet long.
- Typhoons can last days and even months.
Comparison Between Tornado And Typhoon
|Powerful||Tornados are more powerful than typhoons.||Typhoons are less powerful than tornados.|
|Lasts||Tornado lasts from several minutes to a few hours.||Typhoons last from several days to a few months.|
|Causes||Tornados are caused by a warm and moist atmosphere accompanied by thunderstorms.||Typhoons are caused by a warm and moist atmosphere around oceans accompanied by inward winds.|
|Speed||Tornados have a higher speed than typhoons.||Typhoons have a lower speed than tornados.|
|Seen in countries||Tornados are widely seen in the United States of America (USA).||Typhoons are widely seen in China, Japan, and the Philippines.|
Major Differences Between Tornado And Typhoon
What exactly is a Tornado?
A tornado is a vortex of violent wind revolving in a circular motion. Tornados start from land and go up to clouds in the sky. Although not every thunderstorm causes tornados, tornados are caused by thunderstorms only.
Features of Tornados are –
- Tornados are caused by thunderstorms.
- Tornados are seen the most in the United States of America (USA).
- Tornados mostly happen in hot, humid regions.
- Tornados usually last a few minutes to half an hour.
- Tornados are categorized into vortex tornados, waterspout tornados, and landspout tornados.
- Tornados are mainly fifty to a hundred feet long.
- Tornados take place in the spring to summer seasons.
- The speed of tornados is generally 180kmph or 100mph.
What exactly is a Typhoon?
A typhoon is a cyclone that takes place in oceans or seas. Causes of typhoons include moisture, warm ocean water, and inwards wind. Typhoons start from the surface of seas & oceans and go up to the sky.
Features of Typhoons are –
- Typhoons are caused by warm ocean water, a moist atmosphere, and inward winds.
- Typhoons are mostly seen in China, Japan, and the Philippines.
- Typhoons usually last from days to months.
- Typhoons are categorized on their speed scale, which is between 1 and 5.
- Typhoons are generally 100 to 150 feet long.
- Typhoons take place in the mid-summer to early rainfall seasons.
- Typhoons’ speed lasts from 73mph to 120mph.
Contrast Between Tornado And Typhoon
Origin of The Word
- Tornado – The term Tornado originated from the Spanish term “tronada,” meaning “thunderstorm,” which originated from the Spanish term “tronar,” meaning “to thunder.”
- Typhoon – The word Typhoon originated from the Chine term “tai fung,” meaning “big wind,” which originated from the Arabic term “tufan,” which originated from the Greek term “tuphon,” meaning “whirlwind.”
- Tornado – Tornados start from the ground or land.
- Typhoon – Typhoons start from seas and oceans.
- Tornado – Tornados have more speed than typhoons.
- Typhoon – Typhoons have a lesser speed than tornados.
- Tornado – Tornados are more destructive than typhoons.
- Typhoon – Typhoons are less destructive than tornados.
- Tornado – Tornados last from several minutes to half an hour.
- Typhoon – Typhoons last from several days to months.
- Tornado – Tornados are generally shorter than typhoons.
- Typhoon – Typhoons are generally longer than tornados.
Common In Countries
- Tornado – Tornados are common in countries like the United States of America (USA).
- Typhoon – Typhoons are common in countries like China, Japan, and the Philippines
- Tornado – Tornados commonly happen in the spring to the summer season.
- Typhoon – Typhoons commonly happen in mid-summer to early monsoon season.
- Tornado – Tornados are caused by a warm atmosphere and thunderstorms.
- Typhoon – Typhoons are caused by moist and warm ocean-atmospheric conditions.
In conclusion, Tornados and Typhoons are two destructive weather phenomena that happen in moist and warm atmospheric conditions.
The major difference between Tornados and Typhoons is Tornados start from the ground or land, whereas Typhoons start from oceans and seas.
Tornados are widely seen during the spring to the summer season in hot, humid regions of the United States of America (USA).
On the other hand, typhoons are widely seen during the mid-summer to early rainfall seasons in China, Japan, and the Philippines.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q1. Do Typhoons kill people?
Yes, Typhoons very much have the intensity to kill people. They kill over 10,000 people every year globally.
Q2. What countries see Tornados the most after the USA?
Some countries prone to Tornados after the United States of America are Canada, England, Australia, and New Zealand.
Q3. How do Tornados happen in hot, humid regions?
In the hot, humid regions, there are hot winds; during the thunderstorms, these hot winds, along with the cold winds (due to thunderstorms), lead to the formation of Tornados.
Q4. What is the major difference between a Tornado and a Typhoon?
The major difference between a Tornado and a Typhoon is that the former starts from land & usually last a few minutes, and the latter starts from seas and oceans & lasts days.
- 20+ Differences Between Sea And River (Explained)
- 22+ Differences Between Gulf And Sea (Explained)
- 20+ Differences Between Country vs. Continent (Explained)
- 21+ land lease pros and cons (Explained)
- 20+ Difference between 4G and 4G LTE (Explained)
“Business, marketing, and blogging – these three words describe me the best. I am the founder of Burban Branding and Media, and a self-taught marketer with 10 years of experience. My passion lies in helping startups enhance their business through marketing, HR, leadership, and finance. I am on a mission to assist businesses in achieving their goals.”